Minnesota police put together journalists reporting the protest, pushing them to the ground and taking pictures of their faces

Journalists who reported protests in the suburbs of Minneapolis on Friday night were angry and rounded up by law enforcement and released only after filming their faces and press credentials.

Demonstrators gathered to protest the 20-year-old death Dawn Terite at Brooklyn Center, MinnesotaA 20-year-old boy was fatally shot by a white police officer while transportation was stopped on Sunday.

Jasper Colt, a photojournalist at USA TODAY Network, said about 500 protesters were peaceful until around 9 pm when the incident began using chemical stimulants such as tear gas, pepperballs and projectiles. I reported that I was marching.

Approximately 30 minutes later, law enforcement agencies told protesters to leave the area with a large speaker announcement calling the demonstration an illegal rally. The crowd faded, leaving a few protesters and the media.

“Never be justice to us”: Dauntelite’s mother makes an emotional plea

“Many journalists like me were late to leave the area,” Colt said. “We didn’t think we needed it. We wanted to cover what was happening.”

Colt explained that police were screaming to “flatten our stomachs” by grouping protesters and the media into one group.

Law enforcement agencies quickly identified the media and directed the media to the lines where they were asked for qualifications and identification. Law enforcement agencies took a photo of the journalist’s ID and ID, as well as a photo of the journalist’s face.

“They had guns, so we were like,’OK, well, I have to do this,'” Colt said.

The case occurred hours after a judge issued a temporary order banning law enforcement from using force or chemicals against the media. According to MPR News.. The order also banned police from confiscating media equipment.

“Gas executions are not a way to crack down on humans,” Mayor Mike Elliott said in a press conference Wednesday, disagreeing with police using pepper spray, tear gas and paintball against demonstrators.

Neither the Brooklyn Center police station nor Elliott immediately responded to USA TODAY’s request for comment.

Protests have continued since Officer Kim Potter was charged with manslaughter on Wednesday. Former police chiefs in the majority of non-white suburbs said Potter fired a pistol when he intended to use a taser, but protesters and Wright’s family said there was no excuse for the shooting. Both Potter and Chief resigned on Tuesday.

Contribution: Associated Press. Follow Adrianna Rodriguez on Twitter: @AdriannaUSAT.

This article was originally published in USA TODAY: Brooklyn Center Protest: Police Round Up Journalists