NATO leadership on Monday announced that Brock would dramatically increase its readiness in the midst of a conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
NATO Secretary-General Jason Stoltenberg said on Monday that the alliance aimed to increase the number of troops to more than 300,000, what he called “the greatest review of collective defense and deterrence since the Cold War.” He said he was.
“Russia has moved away from the partnerships and dialogues NATO has long sought to establish with Russia,” Stoltenberg said in Brussels prior to this week’s summit in Spain. “They chose conflict instead of dialogue. Unfortunately … but of course we have to deal with that reality,” he added.
Stoltenberg said NATO is transforming its existing quick reaction force, NATO Response Force, with an army of about 40,000 already in place, significantly increasing the total number.
“We will transform NATO Response Forces and increase the number of ready units to well over 300,000,” he said. This announcement reflects a 650 percent increase in troop numbers on the continent.
Earlier this year, NATO announced that it would deploy units in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states to respond more quickly after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine on February 24.
“These troops will work with their own defense forces and become familiar with local terrain facilities … they will be able to respond smoothly and quickly to any emergency,” Stoltenberg said. Said.
Tensions between Russia and the Baltic states have recently escalated after Lithuania said it would block certain products and technologies from reaching the Russian outpost of Kaliningrad, which borders Lithuania and Poland. Lithuanian officials said they are implementing the blockade on behalf of their member European Union.
Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda Said Politico on Friday said new tensions “will not leave time to react to us” as Russian troops “may be easily deployed in the immediate vicinity of the border.”
Stoltenberg focused on Russia and said NATO’s updated strategic concept would be the first to address China. “And the challenges Beijing brings to our security, profits and values.”
“We will also discuss our evolving approach to many other threats and challenges, including terrorism, cyber and hybrids,” he added.
The Kremlin has not yet responded to the Stoltemberg announcement. Earlier, Russian officials accused NATO of pursuing an eastern expansion strategy to put pressure on Moscow, while accusing the military alliance of expanding within Ukraine.
Reuters contributed to this report.