New autopsy report reveals that Alonzo Brooks’ death in 2004 was a murder

The death of 23-year-old Alonzo Brooks, who was found dead in a stream after a house party in the Kansas region 17 years ago, caused his body to investigate his case as a possible hate crime. After being excavated, he was sentenced to murder.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said Monday that his body had been excavated and taken to Dover Air Force Base for inspection as part of an ongoing federal investigation into Alonzo’s death. The examiner’s report concludes that his death was a murder.

“We knew that Alonzo Brooks had died in a very suspicious situation,” said Duston Slinkard, Deputy US Attorney General. “This new test by a team of the world’s best forensic pathologists and experts proves that it wasn’t a coincidence. Alonzo Brooks was killed. We are doing everything we can and will spare no resources. “

According to the release, the new autopsy focuses on damage to parts of Alonzo’s body that inspectors have concluded to be inconsistent with normal degradation patterns. Details of the exam have been withheld for research purposes.

In 2019, the Kansas Federal Bureau of Investigation and the FBI resumed investigating the death of Brooks, who had been dormant for years. His case last year Dateline’s online series “Cold Case Spotlight.

As part of a new investigation, the FBI also announced a $ 100,000 bounty for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Alonzo’s death officer.

In the first investigation, a Lin County coroner said he was unable to determine the cause of death and witness interviews could not produce an arrest.

According to authorities, the new investigation focuses on determining whether Alonzo, an African-American man, was the victim of a racially motivated killing.

The 23-year-old woman was last seen alive at a party held at a farmhouse in the suburbs of Reisigne in April 2004. He was one of only three African-American men who attended a party of more than 100 people.

Alonzo’s family told Dateline that he had a party with a friend, but they left before he went and left him without going home. When Alonzo was unable to return home the next day, his family and friends contacted the Lin County Sheriff’s Office.

According to media reports at the time, Sheriffs and other law enforcement agencies searched the area around the farmhouse, including part of the nearby Middle Creek, but found Alonzo.

After Alonzo went missing for almost a month, a group of his family and friends organized the search. They started on the road near the farmhouse and walked on two branches of Middle Creek. In less than an hour, they found Alonzo’s body partially on a stream of brushes and a pile of branches.

Alonzo’s father said he and his family friends found him.

“My god, it was terrible,” Billy Brooks Sr. told Dateline. “To find my boy like that. There is nothing that can explain the pain.”

Billy said during the day’s search, the sky was cloudy and threatened to rain. But when they found Alonzo’s corpse, the sky was clear and the sun was coming out.

“It was as if my boy was saying everything was okay now,” Billy said. “At least we found him. That wasn’t the way we wanted to find him, but at least we did.”

Alonzo’s family continues to look for answers in his case. Facebook page “Justice of Alonzo Brooks” Created to discuss cases and share awareness.

If you have information about the Alonzo case, please call the FBI (816-512-8200 or 816-474-TIPS) or submit tips online at