No response because the diver knocked on the capsized hull

Port Forcheon, Louisiana (AP) — On Thursday, the family was waiting for news that 12 people were missing from a capsized oil industry vessel, but divers looking for survivors knocked on the hull without response ..

According to a Coast Guard spokesman, rescue teams could be caught in a lift boat called Seacor Power that flipped over on Tuesday in a hurricane strong wind and about eight miles (13 km) off the high seas off Louisiana. I don’t know if there is. ..

“They may still be there, but we don’t know,” Private Sergeant Jonathan Larry said Thursday. “I’m still looking for 12 people because 12 people are still missing.”

The Coast Guard said on Twitter that the diver was able to operate on Thursday but heard nothing when he knocked on the hull. Security guards said the diving work had been completed and would resume on Friday. They continue their search in the sky and sea all night.

A handful of families of missing workers have gathered at the two-story fire station in Port Forcheon, a vast port home to many of the industries servicing the Gulf of Mexico’s oil rigs.

Workers from Louisiana and other parts of the country arrive at the port, load it into a fleet of helicopters and ships, and carry it to oil rigs miles away for long work. The flat landscape is interrupted by cranes capable of loading and unloading cargo and docks or hangers for repairs.

At the nearby harbor, shrimp fishing boats were anchored and stilt fishing camps stood to protect them from the arrival of storms.

Marion Kyler, engaged to crane operator Chaz Morales, spoke to reporters Thursday outside the fire department after a briefing by boat owner Sikor and an executive with the Coast Guard. She said she believed that all 12 missing people were on board.

Kyler shook between optimism and horror while speaking, hoping that Morales would be part of a ship that was alive and rescued in the air after the accident.

“Hopefully they are all in one room and can save everything in one day,” she said.

She said she and the other family members were frustrated and were asking for an answer as to why the boat left in the first place.

“I asked for’who gave the order’and, of course, silence,” she said. Kyler said he told her husband that she shouldn’t go out in such weather. “And he knew they shouldn’t go out.”

A total of six people were rescued when the ship capsized on Tuesday, and the Coast Guard released new details on how the rescue was deployed on Thursday. A Coast Guard ship crew member arriving around 5:10 pm on Tuesday responded to the ship’s distress signal and saw five men clinging to the hull, said Petty Officer third class Carlos Garalza. Said.

He said the Marine Corps Bristow helicopter crew dropped life jackets and VHF radios on them. Two men fell into the water and were picked up by the Coast Guard. At about the same time, he said, a Good Samaritan ship rescued the other four. The Coast Guard was also able to use the dropped radio to talk to the three remaining on the hull. Late Tuesday night, the Coast Guard was informed that one had fallen into the water and was never seen again.

Shortly before 10 pm, the other two said they would return to the Coast Guard, but this was the last time the Coast Guard had spoken to them, Garalza said.

On Thursday, officials said members of the Coast Guard on the boat went within a few yards of the capsized ship and tried to throw a hammer at the hull to contact potential survivors.

According to the Coast Guard, investigators scanned an area about the size of Hawaii and one body was recovered from the water on Wednesday. The Coast Guard said it was classified as a “serious marine accident” due to the participation of the National Transportation Safety Board in the investigation.

The Lafourche Parish Coroner’s Office has identified the dead man as David Ledet, 63, in Thibodaux, a town in southeastern Louisiana, where many people work in the oil industry.

“Captain. Dave was great,” said fellow crane operator Joshua Segura. On Facebook. He said he worked with Redett before moving to another offshore company and described him as one of the finest and most humble people he had ever met.

“Captain David has been on the boat for over 15 years and is one of the most experienced captains I have ever worked with,” he writes.

According to the Coast Guard, part of the capsized ship’s hull and one of its legs were still visible, and most of the bulky ship remained in an area 50-55 feet (15-17 meters) deep. .. The ship has three long legs designed to reach the bottom of the sea and lift the boat out of the water as an offshore platform.

Liftboat vulnerabilities in storms have been known for years, and federal authorities have investigated their multiple deaths. Four people on board the Trinity II died in September 2011 when a large wave hit the hull in the Gulf of Mexico. Then, in July 1989, a storm associated with Hurricane Chantal sank a liftboat off the coast of Louisiana. Ten of the 14 people on board died.

Coast Guard Captain Will Watson said the winds were 80-90 mph (130-145 km) and the waves were rising 7-9 feet (2.1-2.7 m) high when Seacole Power capsized. It was.


Martin reported from Atlanta. Photographer Gerald Herbert contributed to the story from Grand Isle, Louisiana, and reporters Janet Maconahi and Rebecca Santana from New Orleans.