Nokia partners with YADRO to build 4G and 5G base stations in Russia


Moscow — Nokia and Russia’s YADRO plan to set up a joint venture to build 4G and 5G communication base stations in Russia, and two equipment makers build a network on Wednesday using only the Russian equipment approach Said as a deadline to do.

Russia is a carrier of LTE (long-term evolution) networks, provided that it begins building networks using only Russian equipment as part of Moscow’s broader promotion to promote domestic technology and IT services. Announced that it will extend its license after 2023.

Nokia, based in Finland, told Reuters, “We are pleased to partner with YADRO, Russia’s leading developer and producer of high-performance servers and storage systems, to support the new localization regulatory framework.” ..

Nokia said on November 23 that the two companies signed a term sheet, stating their intention to initiate sincere negotiations with the aim of establishing a joint venture in Russia.

Neither company has disclosed the planned terms or investments. Kommersant previously quoted sources as reporting that Yadro holds a 51% stake in the joint venture and Nokia holds the remaining 49%.

Russia’s Minister of Industry and Trade Denis Manturov said the agreement between the two companies is expected to develop telecommunications equipment in Russia, with construction scheduled to begin in December.

Russian manufacturers now account for 21 percent of the state’s telecommunications equipment procurement contracts of 168 billion rubles ($ 2.26 billion), according to Manzlov.

“The market as a whole is estimated to be over 400 billion rubles, so the development of a localized joint project with Russia can be very serious,” he added.

According to Kommersant, other foreign vendors such as Huawei, Ericsson and ZTE are also interested in localizing their equipment.

($ 1 = 74.4520 rubles)

Alexander Mallow and Gleb Striyarov