Nova Scotia Firearms Official Testifies About Better Communication

[ad_1]

Nova Scotia’s Port Hawkesbury — Nova Scotia’s chief firearms officer said today that former soldiers deadly shot their families and themselves in the Nova Scotia countryside in 2017, improving communication with colleagues in other states. I answered the inquiry.

John Perkin testified in a state death investigation investigating the death of former infantry Lionel Desmond, who killed his wife, daughter, and mother using a semi-automatic rifle legally purchased on January 3, 2017. Was there.

Desmond, an Afghan veteran diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, was examined for a firearm license at least twice before his killing.

A study, which began hearing in January 2020, found that when Desmond violated the law in both states, there was a delay and confusion in the exchange of firearm-related information between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Parkin said there have been changes since then to improve communication between firearms stakeholders.

At a hearing in March, we received an inquiry from Joe Roper, a former New Brunswick firearms officer. He also said there was confusion about RCMP-related incidents accusing him of lacking access to police reports.

At that time, firearms officers had to submit a request to the RCMP Liaison Officer to obtain police records. This process could take weeks.

Similarly, according to Roper, the file received from the cavalry was just a summary.

Roper said the “biggest flaw” when he was a firearms cop was that his office was not ready to access police files via RCMP’s police reporting and outbreak system (also known as PROS). bottom.

On Monday, Perkin told inquiries that firearms officers were able to access PROS through so-called police portals, but did not provide full access to police files.

“There were some technical issues,” he answered the question. “I have more access through the portal than before. From there I can collect a little information.”

The investigation is currently in the final stages. The hearing was scheduled to end this week, but is currently scheduled to continue until next month and may continue until November.

Judge Warren Zimmer of the District Court, who is responsible for the hearing, will begin preparing the final report after the hearing.

The mission of the investigation is to determine the status of the deaths of the four and whether Desmond and his family had access to mental health and domestic violence intervention services. The study also looks at how Desmond bought the firearms he used to kill his family.

Zimmer’s report contains recommendations for changes, but does not include finding legal liability.

Canadian press

[ad_2]