Parliament police officer, suspect who died after driving to the barrier: what we know

Washington — A police officer was killed and another was injured when a man plunged a car into a barrier outside the US Capitol on Friday. The suspect was fired and died.

The case is Blockade of Parliament Building About three since both chambers of commerce were adjourned, most lawmakers were in the local district, and the parliament building was attacked primarily by Donald Trump supporter mobs in a deadly riot on January 6. I came a month later.

The loss of police officer William Evans on Friday is a blow to the military already facing the deaths of another police officer, Brian Sicknick, and two other people who died in subsequent suicides in the January 6 attack. ..

“It’s a deep sadness to share the news that Police Officer William Billy Evans died this afternoon from an injury he received after an attack on a northern barricade by a perpetrator,” said US Capitol police. The chief, Yogananda Pittman, said: statement.

Here’s what we know about this case:

A series of events at the Houses of Parliament

US Capitol police officers are standing near a car crashing into the Washington Capitol Hill barrier on Friday, April 2, 2021.

US Capitol police officers are standing near a car crashing into the Washington Capitol Hill barrier on Friday, April 2, 2021.

At 1:02 pm EST on Friday, the driver thrust a blue sedan into two Capitol Hill police officers and continued to hit the barriers of Constitution Avenue.

The suspect then got out of the car and said, “While wielding a knife, he began to aggressively rush towards the US Capitol police officer. After ignoring the verbal orders from the police officer, at least one police officer was suspected. Fired at.

According to a USCP statement, the suspect was subsequently injured and died in a hospital around 1:30 pm.

DC police said they received a 911 call at 1:05 pm about the incident warning of a possible shooting.

Parliament police said the parliament was closed shortly after the incident. An email from the USCP sent to Capitol Hill staff at 1:20 pm Eastern Standard Time states that “external security threats continue to exist in all US Capitol buildings.”

The blockade was lifted around 3 pm

Attack on police officers leads to the death of one person

Police officer Evans, who died injured on Friday, was a 18-year USCP veteran and worked for the Capitol Police’s first responder unit, Pittman said.

Terence Gainer, who was the police chief of the Capitol when Evans joined the army, described Evans as a “great man.”

“He was highly regarded by military and parliamentary staff,” Gainer said. “The police have been crushed and their resilience has increased.”

More: William Evans, who was killed in an attack on the Capitol on Friday, was described as a “great man.”

Senator Republican Senator Mitch McConnell spokesman David Pop said Evans’ death was personal to him.

“When we arrived at work, Officer Evans was often in the barricade. He was very friendly and professional and it was always a plus to meet him. Today is a very sad day.”

The injured second officer was hit by a car and taken to the hospital. As of Friday night, the USCP announced that police were “stable and threat-free.” The identity of the second officer has not been disclosed.

President Joe Biden said Friday that Evans’s death was “painful” and ordered the flag to be half-masted “in mourning the death of yet another Capitol police officer.”

“We know how difficult this was for the Capitol, everyone working there, and the people who protect it,” he said.

“We are in debt,” said Chuck Schumer, leader of the Senate Majority Party, DN.Y. Said in a tweet. “We thank the Capitol Police, the National Guard, and the first responders for everything they do to protect the Capitol and the people inside it.”

D-Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan told reporters Friday that Evans’ death was another loss to the “family” of officers, members of the House of Representatives, and staff who have been in the community since January 6. It was.

Who is the suspect in the parliamentary shooting?

25-year-old Noah Green was identified as a suspect in the attack, according to law enforcement officials who outlined the investigation.

Those who know Green today wrote on Facebook in what he posted on Facebook, including support for the Islamic State, an anti-Semitic radical group designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and its leader, Farakhan. He said changes were beginning to be seen.

The Southern Poverty Law Center describes the Islamic State as a hatred group that aims to uplift African Americans but promotes anti-Semitic and racist theology.

More: Noah Green went from Jock to a post about paranoia, a radical group

Born in West Virginia, Green spent most of his life in a less populated area of ​​Virginia with a large family, including nine siblings. USA TODAY learned through multiple interviews. He was athletic and grew up playing basketball and soccer.

A spokesman for a school in Newport News, Virginia, told USA Today that he graduated from Christopher Newport University in 2019 and played soccer as a defensive back.

Said one of Green’s brothers Washington post Noah Green seemed to be mentally unleashed in the last few years. He suddenly moved from Virginia to Indianapolis and told his brother Brendan that he was suffering from hallucinations, palpitation, headaches and suicidal ideation.

A few months ago, Noah Green moved to Botswana, his brother told Post. The brothers kept in touch, and at one point Noah told Brendan that “his spirit was basically telling him to commit suicide,” and said he jumped in front of the car, Brendan told Post. .. A few weeks ago, after Noah said he was “in a really bad situation,” Brendan allowed Noah to live with him.

Robert J. Conti III, DC Metropolitan Police Chief, said he had no reason to believe he was involved in the January 6 attack and that terrorism was also involved. Authorities treated the case as a “lone wolf” case and said Green wasn’t on their radar before Friday.

An investigation into Green’s motives is still underway, Conty said Friday. Investigators are trying to get a warrant to find out if there were any problems with Green’s career and mental health.

Parliamentary security measures

The Friday incident seemed to have nothing to do with the January 6 attack, officials said, but the Friday event also concerns Parliamentary security measures, which have increased since the January 6 attack. It will definitely update the discussion.

Since January 6th, two layers of 8-foot fences covered with barbed wire have been erected. One fence surrounded the Parliament building and the other fence surrounded the entire complex and blocks of other federal buildings.

The outer fence was removed at the end of last month, allowing pedestrians and vehicles to approach the Capitol, including the area where the incident occurred. The Friday incident occurred primarily at a gated entrance used by staff and senators.

Before Friday, lawmakers condemned the idea that the remaining fences were permanent and closed the “People’s House” to the public. But after Friday’s catastrophic event, permanent barriers are already a topic of consideration.

More: The Friday attack is the latest violence in the US Capitol, the scene of shootings, bombings and riots over the last 50 years.

Ryan, chair of the House Legislature Budget Subcommittee, which oversees the funding of the House of Representatives police, told reporters on Friday after the incident to review what appropriate security measures should be taken in the future. He said there would be a process.

He said it would take time for lawmakers to set aside partisan views and find a solution together.

“I recognize the fence as an obstacle. It’s annoying. It’s terrible. Nobody wants it there. But the question is, is the environment safe enough to get it down? ? Because these things happen, “he said.

“I saw a member of parliament pointing at the wall, giving a speech, sending an email, and raising money based on it,” Ryan said. “It can’t fall into the other political debates we have.”

Senator Tim Scott, RS.C. Returning to South Carolina, with some staff at Capitol Hill’s office, he told Fox News, “just about 10 days ago, I had removed the fence that created the border around the Capitol.” It was.

“I’m sure there’s a new conversation about what’s going to happen,” he continued.

Contributions: Savannah Behrmann, Ledyard King, William Cummings, Christal Hayes, Kevin Johnson

This article was originally published in USA TODAY: Parliamentary Attack: Parliamentary police officers killed after a man pierced a barrier

Posted on