Pence pleaded to “clear the Capitol” and the riot show timeline

Washington (AP) — From a secure room in the Capitol on January 6th. When a riot hits the police and destroys a building, Vice President Mike Pence tried to claim control. He made a surprising request on an emergency call to the Deputy Secretary of Defense.

“Clear the Capitol,” Pence said.

Elsewhere in the building, Speaker of the House Chuck Schumer and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi have similarly miserably appealed to military leaders, calling on the Army to deploy state guards.

“We need help,” Schumer, DN.Y, more than an hour after the Senate room was breached. Desperately said.

At the Pentagon, authorities were discussing media reports that the turmoil was not limited to Washington, but that other state capitals caused national rebellions and faced similar violence.

“We must establish order,” General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a phone call with Pentagon leaders.

But order did not recover for hours.

These new details regarding the deadly riots are contained in previously undisclosed documents prepared by the Pentagon for internal use, obtained by the Associated Press and scrutinized by current and former government officials. I am.

The timeline adds another layer of understanding of fear and panic conditions during the riots, with inaction by then-President Donald Trump and its invalidation delaying response by the military and law enforcement agencies. Clarify how you contributed. It shows that the government’s inability to understand the magnitude and intensity of violent uprisings by its own people overturned intelligence failures, tactical errors, and bureaucratic delays.

Trump is not involved, It was trapped in a safe bunker for Pentagon officials, a handful of White House senior aides, parliamentary leaders, and the Vice President to manage the turmoil.

The timeline helps clarify the desperate nature of the crisis, but the document, along with hours of oath testimony, is incomplete about how the riot proceeded with such a swift and deadly force. Providing only a nice picture and suspending Joe Biden’s parliamentary accreditation Delaying the change of government with the president, a characteristic of American democracy.

Members of the Diet, who are protected by the National Guard to this day, From the Parliamentary Police Inspector General this week.

Senator Amy Klobuchar, chairman of the Senate Rule Management Committee investigating the siege, said last month that “the moment we lose, we need to know why.”

The timeline fills some of those gaps.

At 4:08 pm on January 6, the Vice President was in a safe place, Christopher, after a mob roamed the Houses of Parliament, calling to intimidate D-Caliph Pelosi and screaming to hang Pelosi. I called. Miller, Deputy Secretary of Defense, and demanding answers.

There was a very popular rift between Trump and Pence, and Trump was furious that the Vice President refused to suspend the recognition of the Electoral College. Interfering with the process was an act that Pence considered unconstitutional. The Constitution clarifies that the role of the Vice President in this joint session of the United States is primarily ceremonial.

The call to Pence’s Miller lasted only one minute. Mr Pence said the Capitol was unsafe, and documents said he asked military leaders for a deadline to secure the building.

At this point, it was already two hours after the mob overwhelmed the Capitol police who were not ready for the riot. Riots broke into the building, seized the Senate, and paraded into the House of Representatives. On their way, they left behind destruction and debris. Dozens of officers were injured, some seriously injured.

Just three days ago, government leaders were talking about the use of the National Guard. Miller and Millie met with ministers to discuss the next election certification when lawmakers vowed to attend a new parliamentary meeting on the afternoon of January 3. They also met Trump.

At that meeting at the White House, Trump approved the activation of the DC National Guard and instructed the Deputy Secretary of Defense to take the necessary actions when the event unfolded, according to information obtained by the AP.

The following day, January 4, defense officials spoke over the phone with ministers, including the Deputy Attorney General, to finalize the details of the guard deployment.

The role of security guards was limited, in part, to intersections and checkpoints around the city, based on strict restrictions mandated by district authorities. Miller also allowed Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy to deploy an emergency reaction force of the DC Guard stationed at Andrews Air Force Base, if necessary.

The Trump administration and the Pentagon were wary of military presence, partly because of the criticisms faced by critics. Seemingly hard-working National Guard and law enforcement agencies Efforts to combat public anxiety in the aftermath of George Floyd’s police killing in Minneapolis.

In particular, DC Guard’s use of helicopters to hover over crowds in downtown Washington, DC during these demonstrations was widely criticized. The unauthorized move has given the Pentagon more control over the DC Guard.

“There was a lot of criticism of the Pentagon in the spring,” Robert Salesses, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense and World Security, said at a parliamentary hearing last month.

The first 255 National Guards arrived in the district on the eve of a Trump rally near the White House on January 6, and Mayor Muriel Bowser confirmed in a letter to the administration that no other military assistance was needed. ..

By the morning of January 6th, The crowd began to gather in an ellipse before Trump’s speech. According to the Pentagon’s plan, the Deputy Secretary of Defense will only be notified if the crowd grows above 20,000.

Over time, it became clear that the crowd was far more in control of the event than the military and law enforcement agencies there to maintain order.

Trump was giving his speech shortly before noon, and he told his supporters to march to the Capitol. The audience for the rally was at least 10,000. By 1:15 pm, the procession was on track.

As soon as the protesters arrived at the Capitol grounds, they became violent, breaking through the weak police barriers in front of the building and beating the disturbing police officers.

1:49 pm, as the violence escalated, then- Parliamentary Police Chief Steven Sund He called Maj. Gen. William Walker and asked the DC National Guard general for help.

Sando’s voice was “emotional,” Walker later told the Senate. Walker immediately called the Army leader to inform him of the request.

Twenty minutes later, around 2:10 pm, the first riots began to break through the Senate doors and windows. After that, they started the march through the marble hall in search of the electoral college members. An alarm inside the building announced the blockade.

Sandoz desperately called Walker again and asked at least 200 guards to “and send more if they were available.”

However, even with advance cabinet-level preparations, there was no immediate help.

For the next 20 minutes, Senator rushed safely, the mob broke into the room and ran through the desk, and Secretary of the Army McCarthy told the mayor and Pentagon leaders about Sandoz’s request.

In the Pentagon’s third-floor E-ring, senior Army leaders flocked around a phone called a “panic” phone from the DC Guard. When the seriousness of the situation became apparent, McCarthy jumped out of the meeting, sprinted through the hall to Miller’s office, and broke into the meeting.

As the minutes passed, the mobs broke through the additional entrance to the Capitol and headed home. They broke the glass on the door leading to the room and tried to enter because a group of lawmakers were still trapped inside.

At 2:25 pm, McCarthy told staff to prepare to transfer the emergency reaction to the Capitol. The unit may be ready to move in 20 minutes.

2:44 pm, Trump supporters Ashli ​​Babbitt was deadly shot by a parliamentary police officer When she tried to climb through a window leading to the floor of the house.

Shortly after 3:00 pm, McCarthy provided “verbal approval” to activate 1,100 National Guards and develop plans for military deployment missions, locations, and unit sizes to assist DC police. did.

A few minutes later, an emergency reaction force from the Guard left Andrews Air Force Base for DC Armory. So, when Deputy Secretary of Defense Miller gave the final approval, they prepared for the Capitol.

Meanwhile, the Joint Chiefs of Staff set up a video conference call that remained open until around 10 pm that night, allowing staff to quickly keep up-to-date with military leaders.

3:19 pm, Pelosi and Schumer were calling The Pentagon sought help and was told that the National Guard had been approved.

However, as the Army and Guard called in all troops from the checkpoint, issued new equipment, made new plans for the mission, and explained the mission, military and law enforcement leaders would carry out the plan in the next 90 minutes. I had a hard time.

The guards were prepared solely for transportation operations. Army leaders argued that sending them into an unstable combat situation required additional instructions to keep both them and the general public safe.

By 3:37 pm, the Pentagon had dispatched its own security forces to protect the Pentagon’s leaders’ homes. The military had not yet arrived at the Capitol.

By 3:44 pm, parliamentary leaders had escalated their plea.

“Tell POTUS to tweet that everyone should leave,” Schumer pleaded with officials using the acronym of the President of the United States. Steny Hoyer, D-Md, leader of the House of Representatives. Asked about the convening of active troops.

At 3:48 pm, dissatisfied with the DC Guard’s failure to fully develop a plan to work with the police, the Secretary of the Army rushed from the Pentagon to DC Police Headquarters to assist in coordinating with law enforcement agencies. ..

Trump broke the silence at 4:17 pm and tweeted to his followers, “Go home and go to peace.”

By about 4:30 pm, the military plan was finalized and Walker approved sending guards to the Houses of Parliament. Reports of the state capital defeated elsewhere turned out to be fake.

At around 4:40 pm, Pelosi and Schumer called again with Millie and the Pentagon leader, asking Miller to secure a border.

However, the suffering was becoming apparent.

Parliamentary leaders have accused the National Security Agency of knowing that protesters are planning assaults on the Capitol, the timeline said.

The talk time is 30 minutes. A Pelosi spokesman admits that there was a brief debate about the apparent failure of intelligence that led to the riots.

It will take another hour for the first delegation of 155 guards to arrive at the Capitol. Wearing riot control equipment, they began arriving at 5:20 pm.

They began to expel the mob, but there were few, if any, arrests. According to the police.

At 8 pm, the Capitol was declared safe.


Associated Press writers Michael Balsamo of New York, Noman Merchant of Houston, Mary Claire Jaronic, Jill Corbin, Eric Tucker, Zeke Miller and Colleen Long contributed to this report.