A Pentagon (DOD) spokesperson warned on Monday that Kabul Airport still has a high “aggressive threat” and confirmed that U.S. soldiers dispatched to Afghanistan to assist in evacuation will be left by the Biden administration. .. The deadline is August 31st.
“There are positive threats in the various ways we have to prepare,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said in a briefing.
The bombing alleged by the ISIS terrorist group last week killed 13 military personnel, acquired more Afghan civilians, and brought several US airstrikes to targets within Afghanistan last weekend.As many as five rockets were launched at the airport on Monday, Maj. Gen. Hank Taylor said. Monday briefing..
“We work on the premise that we need to be prepared for potential threats in the future,” Kirby said. “The threat stream is still realistic, active, and often. It’s still concrete, “he added.
“The threat remains high and remains real,” Kirby continued, adding that the military “developed a very carefully tuned way to safely complete this retrogression.”
When asked about the outline of their plans, Kirby replied: Army protection … while the army is doing harm and trying to drive people out of Afghanistan. “
About two weeks ago, the Taliban hijacked Kabul after a violent attack on most of the state-occupied nations in about 11 days. White House executives later said there was no information suggesting that the group would occupy Afghanistan in such a short period of time, eliciting bipartisan criticism of how the US withdrawal was being processed.
Pentagon officials said Monday that about 600 Americans remained in Afghanistan and wanted to evacuate. At a news conference, Taylor said about 1,200 people had evacuated from the airport on Sunday.
Also on Sunday, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed that the military had carried out air strikes on vehicles allegedly carrying suicide bombers and explosives in order to carry out a terrorist attack at the airport. .. However, nine families, including children, were killed in the airstrikes, according to reports citing relatives.
“We know that there was a substantial and powerful subsequent explosion resulting from the destruction of the vehicle. This could have caused a large amount of explosives inside, causing additional casualties. It is unclear what happened and we are investigating further, “CENTCOM spokesman Captain Bill Urban said in a statement.
However, the family said it was a “normal family” who died. CNN.. “We are neither ISIS nor Daesh. This was a family home … where my brother lived with his family.”
The Epoch Times contacted CENTCOM for comment.