Rangers place climber’s body in Denali, Alaska

Anchorage, Alaska (AP) — On Friday, a ranger in Alaska’s national park found the body of a mountaineer who was first registered this year on the highest peak in North America.

Due to the very early climbing season, Matthias Rimml, a 35-year-old professional climbing guide from Tyrol, Austria, was alone at the top of Denali, a 20,310-foot (6,190-meter) mountain about 240 miles (386). .. Kilometers) North of Anchorage. The climbing season is usually from May to mid-July.

Other mountaineers and rangers camp below the level of 14,000 feet (4,267 meters).

According to officials from Denali National Park and Preservation Area, Limuru was not considered overdue compared to his planned return date and food and fuel supply. However, a friend who had regular check-in from Rimml contacted the mountaineering ranger after not receiving a call for days on Tuesday, officials said in a statement.

Park officials said Limuru was already highly acclimatized due to the recent rise. He planned to climb Denali’s “Alpine Style” or move fast in light gear. His goal was to hold the summit in five days, even though he had enough fuel and food to last for ten days.

According to the National Park Service, Denali’s average expedition is 17-21 days round trip, with climbers summiting on the 12th or 13th day.

Officials said Limuru began climbing 7,200 feet (2,194 meters) from the base camp on the Kahiltona Glacier on April 27.

His last known call to his friend was April 30th, when he reported he was tired but not in pain. Rimml reported that it is located at 18,200 feet (5,547 meters) above sea level in West Buttress, the most popular route for Denali climbers, just below the Denali Pass.

On Wednesday, National Park Service helicopter pilots and mountaineering rangers searched for Limuru. Intermittent clouds did not allow a thorough search, but they did not see any signs of him.

They saw his tent at 14,000 feet (4,267 meters), but did not observe any recent activity, the statement said. The helicopter was unable to land at the campsite due to strong winds and bad weather, but the helicopter returned on a sunny Thursday. The Rangers confirmed that Limuru had not returned to the tent.

Park spokesman Maureen Guardieri told The Associated Press on Thursday that a helicopter with two rangers was in the nearest community on Friday morning, as clouds prevented the helicopter from flying more than 17,200 feet (5,243 meters). He said he would take off from a Talkeetna and resume the search.

Park officials said in a statement Friday evening that Limuru’s body was found in a fall zone under the Denali Pass during an aerial search.

Limuru may have fallen into a steep crossing between the 18,200-foot (5,547-meter) Denali Pass and the 17,200-foot (5,243-meter) plateau. According to the statement, 13 climbers, including Limuru, died in falls along the crossing, most of them during the descent.

No recovery efforts will be attempted until the National Park Ranger Patrol has adapted to the highlands.

The weather conditions in the mountains are cold, and park officials say this time of year is normal. Daytime highs are -25 degrees Fahrenheit (-3.89 degrees Celsius) and the winds at the two base camps reach 30 mph (48 km). Last week, it snowed 5 inches (13 cm) in Takayama.

On his website Guide businessLimuru said he was always near the mountains and nature.

He was trained as a carpenter after receiving a high school diploma. After completing his military service in 2015, Limuru turned to a freelance ski instructor outside Austria and Europe.

He became a professional mountaineering guide in 2015. The fourth generation of his family has come to do so, his biography says. His specialty was a long, technically difficult combined tour.

Posted on