Surfers killed in shark attack on Australia’s east coast



Sidney — A man was killed on Tuesday on a popular beach on the north-central coast of New South Wales (NSW) in Australia on suspicion of a shark attack, rescuers and police said.

New South Wales police said in a statement that paramedics were called to Tankery Beach, more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) north of Sydney, following reports of shark attacks.

The man, believed to be in his fifties, was seriously injured in his upper right thigh after being attacked while surfing.

“Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders on the scene, the man was unable to resuscitate,” the NSW ambulance tweeted.

According to the Taronga Conservation Society, which collects shark attack data, the incident will be Australia’s first deadly shark attack this year. Eight people died last year.

Tankary Beach, also known as Nine Mile Beach, and the adjacent Forster Main Beach have been closed.

By Renju Jose

Posted on