Sydney scraps the famous NYE ​​family fireworks display despite plans to reopen


Sydney has abolished the New Year’s Eve (NYE) family fireworks show for the second year in a row, even though it’s been a few weeks away from reopening. Authorities say a move is needed to manage the event in a “most COVID-safe way.” Possible.

Fireworks are launched from the Sydney Harbor Bridge at midnight, but there are potential restrictions on travel and crowd size.

A spokeswoman for the city of Sydney, the official presenter of the event, must make “difficult decisions” to enable NYE celebrations to “maintain resilience” in the face of changing health conditions and public health order. He said he had to.

“At an event on the scale of Sydney New Year’s Eve, the deal was signed and money was spent a few months ago,” she said. statement on Tuesday.

“Fireworks always produce a huge crowd, and two separate displays result in a crossover of many people starting for one show and arriving at the next.”

“In today’s climate, limiting this crowd mix allows us to manage events in the most COVID-safe way for all participants and staff.”

The announcement is due to Sydney break out of the nearly four-month blockade in mid-October, when New South Wales reaches 70% of its fully vaccinated threshold.

As of Tuesday, 54% of Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, has been fully vaccinated.

However, the Sydney City Council’s decision to cancel the 9 pm celebration has garnered criticism from State Treasury Secretary Dominique Perotet, who said it was premature.

“New Year’s Eve is 100 days away. Unplugging the iconic events that many people enjoy seems a bit preemptive,” he said.

“Safety should be a priority, but it’s worth scrutinizing to see what the options are.

“COVID-19 has cast a long shadow over our entire life. We hope there is a way to end the year with bangs and sparks, not whimsical,” Perotet said. Told.

Sydney is home to one of the world’s largest NYE fireworks festivals, centered around the Sydney Harbor Bridge and its surrounding Port Jackson. Celebration usually includes six barges that use 30,000 pyrotechnics to fire 6km of water fireworks into the sky. effect.

Last year, the Government of New South Wales temporarily managed the Sydney NYE celebration, shortening it to a seven-minute fireworks display at midnight, half the 2020 fireworks display.

“We don’t want to create a Superspreader event on New Year’s Eve, which then ruins it for everyone throughout the state moving forward,” said Beregikrian. Said At last year’s press conference.

The majority of Sydney residents see the display from home because permission to attend the event was granted only to local residents, those who confirmed their reservations at a hospitality business near the harbor, and employees of companies in the area. I did.

But last year’s event is still Be attracted Over 1 million spectators and an estimated 1 billion people worldwide are watching on TV.

Nina Nguyen

follow

Posted on