Taliban denies reporting ceasefire proposals for prisoner liberation


Afghan security forces sit at a checkpoint near the Pakistani border

Clashes between Afghan security forces and the Taliban have intensified since the U.S. military began withdrawing

Government officials in the Taliban and Afghanistan have denied reports that armed groups have offered a new ceasefire in exchange for the release of 7,000 prisoners.

Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said the group proposed reducing violence a few months ago, but “there is nothing new on the table.”

Government negotiator Nader Nadery said his explanation for the old proposal was incorrectly quoted.

As the Taliban moved forward, the clash between the two intensified.

The group acted swiftly following the withdrawal of the United States from the country and reclaimed rural territory from the needy Afghan troops.

The Taliban recently claimed that their fighters had regained 85% of the country. This number is contested by the government and cannot be verified independently.

Other estimates indicate that the Taliban dominate somewhere between one-third to half of Afghanistan’s 400 districts. On Thursday, Afghan troops said they had regained a major border crossing with Pakistan occupied by the Taliban. Armed groups denied that they had lost control of the post.

The Taliban made a new three-month ceasefire proposal in exchange for the release of the prisoners, but the BBC and other agencies later reported to the BBC that “there are no official proposals yet, and rumors remain. Is. “

A Taliban spokesman, Shaheen, said the group proposed reducing violence four months ago and would not be centered on districts or states under it, but “the Kabul administration did not accept it.” Said. “Now there is nothing new on the table,” he said.

Last year, 5,000 Taliban prisoners were released, many of whom are believed to have returned to the battlefield and exacerbated domestic violence.

Click here to view the BBC Interactive

Posted on