The death of a serial killer brings closure

Spokane, WA (AP) —Serial killer Joseph Edward Duncan III has recently admitted to slaughtering seven people (including five children) in Idaho, Washington, Montana, and California, and recently in the United States. Died in prison.

There is also the question of whether Duncan, whose victims included four members of a single family, killed even more. After he was arrested in 2005 for the murder of the Aidaho family, the FBI examined the case of an unresolved missing child nationwide.

Traci Whelan, assistant federal prosecutor, believes that Duncan’s killings were all revealed in court. She charged him with the only federal death penalty in Idaho’s history.

“All his crimes have been publicly acknowledged and considered by a judge or jury,” Welan said Tuesday from Corderlane, Idaho. “He was held accountable.”

Duncan, 58, died Sunday at a hospital near Terre Haute Prison in Indiana. There he was on death row. A person from Tacoma, Washington was recently diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor.

He was allegedly suspected of several crimes committed between 1994 and 1997 on parole and between 2000 and 2005 when he was released from prison. Duncan was sometimes admitted as a suspect, but California and Washington officials believed Duncan had committed an unresolved murder in their jurisdiction.

Duncan was a registered sex offender and told therapists that he had raped 13 boys by the age of 16. He spent much of his life imprisonment.

Duncan’s most violent series of crimes was two people driving an Idahopan handle on Interstate 90 in May 2005, playing in swimsuits in the garden of a house next to the highway. It happened when I found my child. He left the road and began to monitor his house.

Using night-vision goggles, he invaded and detained Brenda Grown, 40. Her boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, 37 years old. And her son, Slade Grown, 13 years old. Then he beat them to death with a hammer. When authorities arrived home, Brenda Grone’s other two children, 9-year-old Dylan and 8-year-old Shasta, were missing.

Duncan took the children to the wilderness of western Montana, where he tortured and ill-treated for several weeks before killing Dylan.

Early in the morning of July 2, 2005, Shasta Groene was recognized by employees and customers at Denny’s Restaurant in Cordalane. She was with a man.

The employee called the police and set himself aside to prevent the man from leaving. The police turned off the lights and arrived, unplugged their weapons and entered the restaurant. Duncan was arrested without incident.

Two days later, investigators found a human body in a remote temporary campsite in the Lolo National Forest near St. Regis, Montana. They were identified as those of Dylan Groene. During the trial, Duncan was revealed to have shot the boy at close range, holding a sword-off 12-gauge shotgun over his head.

Duncan alleged in court that he took Shasta to a restaurant a few miles away from where he killed his family in order to return him to the authorities. He was convicted in 2008 and sentenced to death.

Shasta Grown, now in his mid-twenties, issued a written statement after Duncan’s death.

“For a long time I have been suffering from hatred for the man. Today I woke up feeling like my soul was finally free.” Others influenced by Joseph Duncan. I think people were able to wake up in the same way. “

The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office in Idaho, which conducted the investigation, also issued a statement.

“In May 2005, the Groene family in Kootenai County, living in the Wolf Lodge Bay area, was brutally killed by a serial killer passing through our community. The family was stalked, attacked, and tortured.” “It was one of the worst tragedy I’ve ever seen in Aidaho,” he said.

Following his conviction, Duncan was handed over to Southern California in 1997 for the death of 10-year-old Anthony Martinez in Riverside County. Duncan was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.

“Today the sun is bright and my soul is bright,” Anthony’s mother, Diana, said in a statement this week.

Duncan also confirmed the murder of 11-year-old Sammy Joe White and her 9-year-old half-sister Carmen Cubias, who disappeared after leaving the Seattle motel on July 6, 1996. The bodies of their skeleton were found in February. October 1998 in Bothell, Washington. Duncan confessed that he had beaten and killed two girls, but was not charged because he had already faced multiple death sentences.

Court records show that since he was detained in 2005, Duncan has confessed to all his crimes and repeatedly tried to plead guilty. Contrary to his wishes, Duncan’s lawyer pursued many appeals until his death.

Welan, an assistant federal prosecutor in Idaho, said the case had a significant impact on all involved, including lawyers, officers, juries, victims and communities.

“Continuous child murders pose difficulties for everyone,” she said. “There is a human side to protecting people, and you can’t protect them.”

Welan said there is no doubt that Duncan deserves the death penalty, but he is not disappointed that he died of cancer.

“He’s not here anymore,” she said.

Posted on