The death toll from the virus in India exceeds 400,000.Experts say it’s expensive


New Delhi (AP) —Thursday, India crossed a tough milestone with more than 400,000 deaths from the coronavirus. This number is still considered to be enormous due to lack of testing and reporting.

More than half of the coronavirus deaths reported in India (third most in the country) have occurred in the last two months as delta variants of the virus have torn the country and overwhelmed the already tense health system. It has occurred.

After exceeding 400,000 people a day in May, new cases are on the decline, but authorities are preparing for another possible wave and are trying to increase vaccination.

According to the Ministry of Health, 853 people have died in the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll to 400,312. In addition, 46,617 new cases were reported, bringing the total national pandemic to over 30.4 million.

India, a country with a population of about 1.4 billion, has killed 400,000 people, the third largest after the United States and Brazil.

Experts believe that the reported deaths and infections in India are significantly underestimated. They say countless people died outside the hospital in April and May before being tested for the virus.

A University of Washington model The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation estimates that more than 1.1 million COVID-19 deaths have occurred in India.

The Dominion of India, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party, dismissed the underestimated report as exaggerated and misleading.

Despite the declining number of cases, experts are concerned that India may be at risk of another outbreak of the virus as less than 5% of the population is fully vaccinated. doing.

Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said Wednesday the speed of vaccination after a new policy announced last month put a strain on the state and ended the complex system of vaccine purchase and distribution that caused inequality in the way shots were distributed. Said it went up.

Under the new policy, the federal government will purchase 75% of all vaccines used in India and provide them to the state free of charge. Private hospitals can purchase and charge the remaining 25% at a capped price.

Barudan also said that 120 million doses will be made available by the government in July.

India is expected to achieve a rapid increase in vaccinations in the coming months. Last month, the head of the COVID-19 Task Force in India will be able to administer approximately 2 billion doses by December under a roadmap that relies on India’s two major suppliers, Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech. He told reporters that there was a possibility. The vaccine will be available in the coming months.

However, some have questioned whether this is a realistic estimate, as both of the country’s major suppliers are struggling to boost manufacturing.

On Tuesday, Moderna Shot was announced to be the fourth vaccine to be given in India shortly after AstraZeneca Shot, Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin and Russia’s Sputnik.

Zydus Cadilla of India has applied for an emergency use authorization for the DNA vaccine from a government drug administrator. The company said on Wednesday that the vaccine could be used by both adults and adolescents between the ages of 12 and 18.

Posted on