The FBI has charged 23 people for earning $ 1 million in more than 12 pre-planned car accidents


FBI

File: The FBI’s seal is hung on March 9, 2007, in the flag room of the Bureau’s headquarters in Washington, DC.Chip Somode Villa / Getty Images

  • At least 23 people have been charged in connection with a pre-planned car accident, according to the Department of Justice.

  • According to the indictment, they filed nearly $ 1 million in insurance claims between 2017 and 2020.

  • Four of the defendants are considered fugitives and have not yet been detained.

According to Monday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has prosecuted 23 people in more than 100 cases and claimed an estimated $ 1 million insured in connection with about 14 pre-arranged car accidents. Press release..

According to a press release from a US lawyer in Eastern Washington, the defendants face a total of 138 people.

If convicted, they could spend up to 55 years in prison. 20 years for “conspiracy to commit postal fraud and telegraph fraud”, another 20 years for “conspiracy to interfere with public proceedings”, 10 years to “conspiracy to commit medical fraud”, “False to the FBI,” said the release. 5 years to make a statement.

according to Indictment on page 81 Defendants filed last month planned clashes, coordinated them primarily on remote roads where only the accused could be witnesses of the clash, and fraudulently claimed insurance, July 2017. Accused of forging or exaggerating the injured between 4th and 25th September, 2020.

According to the indictment, in some cases, at least one car had no driver or passengers (in which case a weighted object was used to ensure that the car’s airbags were deployed), and the car was used with a hammer. I broke the window.

Defendants are between the ages of 20 and 51, from Washington, California, Michigan, and Nevada, and there is one defendant in British Columbia, Canada.

According to the press release, the four individuals have not yet been arrested and are now considered fugitives.

Alexander H, a lawyer representing four of the 23 individuals. Fuqua told Insider in an email that he believed the government case was “overkill.”

“From what was shared with me, the evidence for the people I represented relies primarily on hearsay evidence with little direct evidence,” Fukua said.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to insider requests for comment. Lawyers representing the other 19 defendants were unable to immediately reply to the insider’s email.

Do you have any news tips? Contact this reporter at [email protected]

Read the original article insider