If you own a bottle of Artnaturals odorless hand sanitizer, federal health officials are calling for you to stop using it immediately and throw it in a dangerous waste container instead of a trash can, drain or toilet.
Tests by the US Food and Drug Administration have detected “unacceptable levels” of some carcinogenic chemicals, such as benzene, acetaldehyde, and acetal contaminants, in some bottles. warning Published October 4th.
Artnaturals products added to List of 260 other hand sanitizer brands It is contaminated with harmful chemicals that the FDA advises people not to use. Disinfectants can be purchased at several stores, including Wal-Mart, Publix, and Amazon.
The California-based company does not respond to “multiple FDA attempts to discuss contaminated hand sanitizers, including manufacturer identification, recall potential, and extent of contamination.”
The FDA states that the risks of using these hand sanitizers are unknown, but studies show that the chemicals they contain cause cancer.
Benzene is one of the 20 most used chemicals in the United States and is commonly found in plastics, lubricants, rubbers, detergents and pesticides.Studies in both animals and humans show Benzene can cause cancerEspecially those in the blood.
Acetaldehyde Included in products such as perfumes, dyes, rubbers and alcohol. Short-term exposure can irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract, but in the long term it can cause serious illness and death. Studies conducted in animals suggest that acetaldehyde can cause cancer in people.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the use of hand sanitizers, including: At least 60% alcohol..
The FDA encourages people to report side effects to hand sanitizers to the FDA. Report of MedWatch Adverse Events program.
April, FDA Recall 8 lots of hand sanitizer Miami Herald reported that it was created by Scentsational Soaps & Candles for sale at certain Marshall, TJ Maxx, and Ulta Beauty stores. The product contained methanol, benzene and acetaldehyde.
The FDA states that methanol is “toxic” when rubbed against the skin, but it is even more damaging when ingested.