The hotel has withdrawn from Biden’s $ 87 million contract to contain migrants in a political backlash, the report said.


We-Children of the Mexican Border Immigrants

Central American asylum seekers arrive at a bus stop on February 26, 2021 in Brownsville, Texas, after being released by a US Border Guard agent. John Moore / Getty Images

  • The Biden administration has secured a $ 87 million contract to accommodate immigrants in the hotel.

  • Axios reported that some of these hotels had withdrawn as the debate over the surge in borders continued.

  • The United States has experienced the largest surge on the southern border in 20 years.

  • See other articles on Insider’s business page..

Four hotels have withdrawn plans to contain immigrants under the Biden administration’s contract. Axios Reported on Friday.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement Bureau said in a statement to insiders last month Secured $ 86.9 Million Contract Together with nonprofits, we strive to “provide temporary shelter and processing services for families who have not been exiled and are therefore undergoing immigration procedures for immigrants from the United States.”

According to the statement, Endeavors, which has programs including housing services and disaster relief, will reserve 1,239 beds in addition to other services. Family members also undergo a COVID-19 test.

“Our borders aren’t open,” said Tae D. Johnson, Deputy Director of ICE. “The majority of individuals continue to be banished under the public health authorities of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

read more: Biden’s immigration message is fine-the problem is that his policy does not back up his “not coming” message

Axios reported that the hotels withdrawn from the plan are located in Texas and Arizona and are set to accommodate about 600 migrants. They were Woodspring Suites, Hampton in By Hilton, Microtel by Wyndham, and Best Western.

Efforts said an alternative hotel for Axios has already been secured.

The hotel was previously used by the Immigration Bureau. Hundreds of migrants, including children, were held in major hotel chains last year Before being deported under President Donald Trump’s pandemic border ban.

In recent months, President Joe Biden’s administration has struggled to deal with immigration on the southern border, primarily the proliferation of families and children.

The United States will welcome up to 2 million immigrants this year, with the largest surge in 20 years. Washington post report. The surge is putting a heavy burden on government resources and border towns.

Republicans blamed Biden’s actions and rhetoric on the surge. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy Called the “Biden Border Crisis”.Meanwhile, Biden tried to publicly encourage people from Central America. Do not travel to the United States And stay where they are.

The White House Refused to call the situation a “crisis” Despite criticism from the Republican Party.

U.S. officials said Reuters Last week, Biden’s aides became increasingly dissatisfied with the situation and believed that migrant children were not released from custody by the Department of Health and Human Services soon enough.

Do you have any news tips?Please contact this reporter at [email protected]..

Read the original article Business insider