A suicide bomber launched a deadly attack in Afghanistan on August 26 at the gate of Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, the Pentagon confirmed on Friday.
The Pentagon said in its first statement that two bombers were involved in the attack that killed 13 U.S. military personnel and dozens of Afghans.
“I don’t think there was a second explosion at or near the hotel. It was a suicide bomber,” U.S. Army Rear Admiral Hank Taylor told reporters at a press conference on Friday.
“I don’t know how the report was provided incorrectly, but it’s surprising that information can be misreported or garbled in the turmoil of highly dynamic events. Not, “he added. “I felt it was important to revise the record with you here.”
A gun battle also broke out after the airport bombing, said US General Frank Mackenzie, head of the United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), during the same briefing.
This death was the first US combat-related death in Afghanistan since February 2020 and was the most deadly event in more than a decade for the US military assigned to a war-torn Middle Eastern country.
The ISIS terrorist group argued for the attack, boasting of the suicide bombers “managing all security fortresses” set up by the US military and the Taliban.
Following the August 26 attack, President Joe Biden said the United States would attack ISIS in retaliation for the bombing while talking to reporters at the White House.
“We don’t forgive. I don’t forget. Biden told the terrorist group responsible for the attack.” We were our time, the place we chose, and the moment we chose. With power and accuracy, “he added.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said at a press conference on Friday that US officials still believe there is a “specific, credible” threat to the airport.
“We are certainly ready and looking forward to future attempts,” Kirby said. “We monitor these threats very specifically, in virtually real time,” he added.
As of August 27, more than 12,000 people had been airlifted from Kabul in the last 24 hours, according to the Pentagon. The US State Department said it intends to complete the airlift despite the threat of terrorism.
Isabel van Brugen contributed to this report.
from NTD News