The United States officially began to withdraw the rest of the military Afghanistan Because it ends the longest war in America.
Joe Biden He said the remaining 3,500 US service personnel wanted to begin withdrawing from the country on May 1.
Before his election defeat, Donald Trump May 1 was set as the day for all US military personnel to leave.
On the eve of the withdrawal Taliban Spokesman Suhail Shaheen told The Associated Press:
He added: “If you … open a new chapter on helping Afghanistan in rebuilding and rehabilitating the country, Afghanistan will appreciate it.”
Mr Biden announced his withdrawal on April 14, saying it was time to put an end to what he called the “eternal war.”
He said that the US presence in Afghanistan “should focus on why we did it first-make sure Afghanistan is not used as a base to re-attack our hometown.” Said.
“We did that. We achieved that goal,” he said in the White House treaty room. There, former President George W. Bush announced the start of Operation Enduring Freedom on October 7, 2001.
“I said above all that we obey Osama Bin Laden If necessary, go to the Gate of Hell, “he said. “That’s exactly what we did and we got him.”
But that was ten years ago, and Biden said, “Since then, we have been in Afghanistan for ten years.”
Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of Bin Laden’s murder by US special forces after he was chased by a house in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad.
At the height of the Afghanistan conflict, there were about 100,000 US troops in the country. About 2,442 people died, as did tens of thousands of Taliban and al-Qaeda fighters and Afghan government forces.America’s Nato The Allies lost 1,144 troops, and Britain suffered the deaths of 454 troops and civilians.
Last year was the first year that US and NATO troops were not killed.
The Costs of War project estimates that 47,245 Afghan civilians were killed and millions more were evacuated during the conflict.
Violence increased last year, despite ongoing peace talks. The Taliban are now believed to control more than half of the country.
In a statement on Saturday, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the start of a full withdrawal “opened the way for (Afghan Islamic Emirate) Mujahideen to take any countermeasures it deems appropriate against the occupation forces.” It was.
However, he said the Taliban fighters awaited a decision from the leadership before launching the attack, which was based on “national sovereignty, values and higher interests.”
AP contributed to this report