The Justice Ministry said Wednesday: Secretly seized the phone records of four people New York Times Reporter Last year, as part of a leak investigation The latest exposure of journalist surveillance by the Trump administrationThe Biden administration has already notified CNN and Washington Post Last year, President Biden said the secret acquisition of reporter phone records and email logs was “simply, simply wrong,” and said it wouldn’t happen under his administration.
Justice spokesman Anthony Corey said Wednesday that “news media members were notified in all cases,” whose records were sought in leak investigations in 2019 and 2020. The Attorney General must approve the request to obtain the journalist’s records in secret under the reforms implemented during the second phase of former President Barack Obama. William Barr served as Attorney General except for the last week of 2020.
“Seizure of journalist phone records significantly impairs press freedom.” Times Editor-in-chief Dean Bake said in a statement: “It may silence the sources we rely on to provide the public with important information about what the government is doing.”
The Ministry of Justice Times From January 14th to April 30th, 2017, we obtained telephone records of four reporters, Matt Apzzo, Adam Goldman, Eric Richtbrau, and Michael S. Schmidt. The information reported in the April 22, 2017 article shows how four reporters investigated a politically condemned investigation by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in the 2016 presidential election. I wrote about how it was processed. ” Is Times To tell..
After former President Donald Trump fired Mr. Comey, the Justice Department began investigating Mr. Comey. First, he focused on whether his leaked notes on his conversation with Mr. Trump and Russia were illegal. Later, he moved on to see if Mr. Comey leaked the existence of a confidential memo in 2016. Is Times ReportBy November 2020, federal prosecutors concluded that the FBI had not found evidence to support Comey’s indictment.