The post office provided compensation to 777 of the 2,500 postmasters who applied for compensation in a 20-year scandal.
Its CEO, Nick Reed, told MPs on Tuesday that he hopes that lawyers and staff working on the case will be able to make an offer to all but a few claimants by the end of the year. Told.
However, he warned that the postmaster would need government assistance to ensure that the postmaster was properly compensated for what happened to them.
“The post office itself has no financial resources to compensate for false accusations of this magnitude,” he told the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Commission.
A total of 950 postmasters have been charged with various charges since 1999, many of which were later related to problems with the Horizon computer system.
Some of the postmasters were sent to jail for incorrect accounting and theft. So far, 72 convictions have been overturned.
After seeing the conviction overturned, Reed said 66 people applied for a provisional £ 100,000 payment to “close the gap” until a complete settlement was reached.
The post office made an interim payment to 57 of these.
“As soon as (conviction) is overturned … the post office will pay those interim payments within 28 days,” said Business Minister Paul Scully.
However, the post office has not yet been able to contact 127 of the 736 former postmasters whose convictions were linked to Horizon.
“We are my intention to give complete and final compensation to all past victims and their families,” Reed said.
“And most importantly, it’s full, fair and final.”