The White House will determine whether special operations units will remain in Afghanistan after President Joe Biden on April 14 outlines a drawdown of regional combat units starting May 1 and ending by September 11. I haven’t announced it yet.
Special operations forces were first deployed in the war in Afghanistan almost 20 years ago. As of this year, it is reported that there are as many as 1,000 special operations units remaining in Afghanistan in addition to approximately 2,500 US combat units.
Biden’s announcement will begin to reduce violence, guarantee anti-terrorism, and negotiate peace within Afghanistan after his predecessor, former President Donald Trump, outlined an agreement with the Taliban last year.
The president said on Wednesday that it is now “the time to end the longest war in the United States” and “the time when the U.S. military returns”, and the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York City are why U.S. soldiers should stay. In a Central Asian country that said “I can’t explain.”
He said he made the decision after consulting with Vice President Kamala Harris, top military leaders, lawmakers, and former President George Bush. Bush declined to comment on his conversation with Biden through his spokesman.
Biden said the United States would continue to provide security assistance to Afghan troops, adding that if the Taliban attacked, the U.S. military would protect itself with “all available tools.”
The Taliban are also “responsible” for not allowing terrorist groups, including al-Qaeda, to thrive in Afghanistan, the president said.
Biden’s announcement, which followed after his visit to Arlington National Cemetery, probably points to the most important foreign policy decisions in the early stages of his presidency.
The announcement comes a few weeks after General Richard Clark, head of the US Special Operations Forces, said at a Senate hearing: Essential to their success. “
He told Congress that Afghan troops needed help from the U.S. military to successfully counter the Taliban, and that the Taliban would reduce violence in the region after numerous attacks in the country. It was blamed on a group that reflected the feelings of other military leaders who said they did not support the commitment. These attacks are primarily against Afghanistan and do not target Americans.
At a Senate hearing last month, Clark provided details of possible strategic options outlined to Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on how to provide the necessary anti-terrorism forces or capabilities if special forces are not physically in Afghanistan. Refused to do.
Jack Phillips and The Associated Press contributed to this report.