Third officer commits suicide after responding to parliamentary riots


NSAccording to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, another police officer committed suicide in response to the January 6 riots in the US Capitol.

18-year military veteran Gunther Hashida officer Washington DC, Was found dead in his residence on Thursday. The cause of death was suicide, police told the Washington Examiner.

Hashida, who joined the department in May 2003, was assigned to the emergency response team of the Special Operations Department and responded to the riots.

Kinzinger anticipates a “significant number” of subpoenas issued in January. 6 Survey

“I’m sad as a department because I’m thinking and praying with Officer Hashida’s family and friends,” the department said in a statement.

Hashida’s suicide Third among law enforcement agencies Officers who responded to the Parliament building January 6, One of them also worked at the DC Police Department.

MPD officer Jeffrey Smith, who worked for the police for 12 years, also died after the riot, like Howard Liebengood, a 15-year veteran parliamentary police officer.

Parliamentary police officer Brian Sicknick also died after responding to the riot, but not suicide.

Sicknick was sprayed with chemicals on the afternoon of January 6 at the scene of the riot. He collapsed in the Capitol that night and died in the hospital on January 7. Sicknick’s death was caused by two strokes and was considered “natural.” Said During April.

Smith’s widow blamed his death for what he had experienced in the riots.

“He was Jeff I knew when my husband went to work that day.” Erin Smith recently wants her husband’s suicide to be considered a line of duty. Said New York Times. “He was a completely different person when he was hit in the head and returned after experiencing the event. If he didn’t go to work that day, he would be here and we would have this conversation. I believe I won’t. “

DC police did not immediately reveal details about Hashida’s work situation after the riots or additional circumstances surrounding his death.

Mr. Hashida’s death was due by a special committee of the US House of Representatives investigating the January 6 riots. First hearingThis included testimony from officers who recalled what was called “hell” that they experienced when responding to the Capitol.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi condolences to Hashida’s family and MPD on Monday.

“Officer Hashida was a hero who bet his life to save our Capitol, the parliamentary community, and our democracy,” Pelosi said in a statement. “All Americans thank him for his great courage and patriotism through January 6th and his selfless service.”

GoFundMe, which was set up under the name of Hashida on Sunday, Raised Over $ 16,500 as of Monday afternoon.

Click here to read more about the Washington Examiner

“In his job as an officer at the DC Metropolitan Police Station, he worked to serve and protect citizens,” the fundraiser said. “He was a devoted and loving husband and father.”

According to the GoFundMe page, Hashida has a wife, a sister, and three children.

Washington Examiner Video

tag: news, police, Washington DC, January 6, Capitol Hill, Law enforcement agency

Original author: Jeremy Beeman

Original location: Third officer commits suicide after responding to parliamentary riots