Traveler sues Airbnb for $1.3 million after husband died in contaminated hot tub


New Zealand women getting ready sue airbnb after the death of her husband.

Sandra Birmingham, 54, was visiting Gozo, Malta with her family in 2016. That’s when she got sick after her husband Paul used the hot tub at her Airbnb rental. Paul died a few days after coming home from Christmas vacation with Legionnaires’ disease.

Birmingham is currently fighting VRU. She believes a contaminated hot tub was the culprit in her husband’s life, and Sandra plans to sue her company for her $1.3 million.

“I doubt the jacuzzi was properly maintained and I think it hadn’t been used for a while before we arrived,” Birmingham told MEAWW.

What is Legionellosis?

Traveler sues Airbnb

Photo courtesy:
.

Birmingham has been in a six-year legal battle with Airbnb since her husband’s death in 2016. A GoFundMe was set up for her to manage the ever-increasing legal fees as she pursued a lawsuit against her popular VRU company. Birmingham says her husband died after the hot tub at her rental home was contaminated with bacteria.

“Paul only got into the hot tub once on New Year’s Eve and was only in the water for a few seconds,” she said. “The bacteria are airborne and I think she got infected shortly after checking into the farmhouse.”

Medical experts determined that Paul died as a result of Legionella pneumonia. Legionnaires’ disease, a fatal lung infection caused by bacteria, is spread through water droplets. It is not contagious from person to person and can be a breeding ground for bacteria if hot tubs are not cleaned properly.

There are people who rarely contract Legionellosis At home. However, public places such as hotels, spas, and hospitals can become hotspots for bacterial growth if proper hygiene is not practiced. There is a possibility that Legionella bacteria may be lurking in the

holiday disaster

Traveler sues Airbnb

Photo courtesy of Brett Sails.

The Birmingham family was visiting Gozo to celebrate the Christmas holidays. They traveled with 10-year-old Dollar and her 12-year-old Kate, renting an Airbnb house to stay with her for two weeks. The family had no idea the vacation would turn into a nightmare.

The house has a hot tub in one of the rooms, and Paul decides to go in after they arrive. Sandra, she said, was only in the bathtub for a few seconds. Children who also used the hot tub were not contaminated with bacteria.

When Mr. and Mrs. Birmingham arrived in Islington, north London, Paul fell ill. He was rushed to a local hospital and fell into a medically induced coma. He never recovered and died of an illness.

“The hospital did everything they could, but they couldn’t save him,” she said. “We were completely distraught that he could be taken from us.”

Sandra and her family have been distraught since the death of her husband in 2016. Unable to bear the weight of her family budget, Sandra was forced to move in with her brother, ending her career as a make-up artist.

Little response from Airbnb

The lack of response from Airbnb has left Sandra and her family frustrated and disappointed. She says the company ignored her allegations and refused to compensate her family for her husband’s wrongful death, adding that she suspected Airbnb would investigate properties that included contaminated hot tubs. is said to have been rejected.

“They try to irritate me every time and don’t want to take any responsibility for my husband’s death and the disruption it has caused to my family’s life,” she said. “One time when I tried to speak to their lawyers, I was told they were all on vacation. This was a big multi-billion dollar company and they claimed they had no one to talk to. doing.”

She also says the Maltese government has been uncooperative in helping her obtain justice for her husband’s death by refusing to submit test results from contaminated hot tubs. .

“Let the world know how Airbnb works and make tons of money off our backs and abdicate responsibility if things go terribly wrong in a home that makes billions of dollars. Would like to have.

An Airbnb spokesperson said in a statement: “At the time, we were heartbroken to learn of this tragic incident. Our thoughts are with the Birmingham family in experiencing such an unimaginable loss. We are in contact with family representatives on this matter.The safety of our community is our top priority and with more than 1 billion guests arriving at our Airbnb listings to date, Isolated incidents are very rare.”