(Bloomberg): U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that a federal appeals court will reject the U.S. Department of Justice’s challenge to the appointment of a special master to investigate thousands of documents seized from his Mar-a-Lago estate. , does not want to go to trial until January at the earliest. the lawyer said.
Bloomberg’s most read articles
In documents filed in court in Atlanta on Monday, the former president’s attorneys said the government’s appeals challenging the appointment should not be made expeditiously as requested by the Justice Department. It said it needed time to scrutinize the documents, totaling about 200,000 pages, and determine whether they were protected by attorney-client privilege or executive privilege. Rushing these discussions would give Trump’s team less time to review the documents than the government, according to the filing.
“President Trump has been given significantly less time than the government, and less time than is provided under the rules, to prepare and explain his case in this courtroom in this unprecedented case. No justification has been given as to why we should have,” they said.
Government attorneys last week asked the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to expedite the schedule for hearing the special master order appeal. It also temporarily banned the use of most of his 11,000 seized documents in criminal investigations into whether government records were mishandled. .
READ MORE: DOJ Seeks Speedy Appeal of Trump’s Special Master Rulings
The Justice Department has proposed a schedule to end briefings by November 11, and asked the court to set a hearing date soon thereafter. Continued blocking of investigators’ use of seized materials “will limit the government’s ability to demonstrate strong public interest in expediting the criminal and national security investigations that underlie these proceedings.” claimed.
An appeals court had previously sided with the government in producing about 100 documents containing classified markings from a special master review.
A Monday filing by Trump’s attorney, Christopher Kise, also criticized the Justice Department in a footnote.
“President Trump consents to the government’s distorted and controversial presentation of facts regarding the unprecedented raid on his home, the government’s actions in these proceedings, and the history of the proceedings in this case,” the filing said. No, I oppose it.
The case is Trump v. US, 22-13005, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (Atlanta).
Bloomberg Businessweek’s Most Read Articles
©2022 Bloomberg LP