Two Manchester City fans charged after thousands of people invaded the pitch

Two football fans have been charged after thousands of Manchester City supporters broke into the club’s Etihad Stadium pitch to celebrate winning the English Premier League title on Sunday.

Manchester City returned from two goals, beating Aston Villa 3–2 and leading Liverpool to the championship on the dramatic final day of the season.

Greater Manchester police said two men were indicted and an investigation began after the goalkeeper with visitor Aston Villa Robin Olsen was allegedly attacked by city fans.

A police spokesman said, “Investigation of the player’s reported assault on the pitch after the last whistle is underway with officers working with both football clubs.”

Premier League
Fernandino of Manchester City will be holding a trophy to celebrate with his teammates after winning the Premier League at Etihad Stadium in Manchester, England on May 22, 2022. (Hanna McKay / Reuters)

Philip Maxwell, 28, from Noseley, was charged with throwing fireworks on the pitch, and Paul Colbridge, 37, from Salford, was charged with going to the pitch.

Last week, GK Still, a visiting professor at Suffolk University, said the recent series of pitch invasions was “warning” and could be related to the blockade during the pandemic.

Still, he told The Epoch Times as follows. However, the restrictions have been lifted and people are too excited to forget the rules. “

On May 17, Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp was head-butted by a Nottingham Forest supporter who rushed to the pitch after the team’s playoff semifinals. 2 days later Robert Bigs30, pleaded guilty to the assault that caused the actual physical harm, and was imprisoned for 24 weeks.

Then, on May 19, Crystal Palace manager Patrick Viera clashed with Everton fans who broke into the pitch after winning an important Premier League match, and the Mercyside team’s position in the top tier of British football. Was secured.

On Sunday, there was another pitch invasion at Etihad Stadium after the city’s victory secured them the title.

With 15 minutes remaining, Citi lost 2-0 and Liverpool beat the wolf. This means that the title is heading towards Merseyside.

However, Germany’s substitute Ilkay Gundoan’s two goals and midfielder Rodri’s one goal completed an amazing turnaround and gave the Manchester club the title.

Thousands of city fans came to the pitch and some lowered the goal post in a scene reminiscent of the scenes involved. Scottish fans at Wembley in 1977..

Mayor Pep Guardiola did not comment on the invasion of the crowd, but said of his players: I will be reminded. The players in this group are absolutely forever in this club. What we have achieved is that it is very difficult to do. “

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: We chased the best team in the world. “

Chris Summers


Chris Summers is a UK-based journalist with a particular interest in crime, police and law, covering stories from a wide range of countries.