Jerusalem — Two rockets were launched from Lebanon to Israel on Tuesday night with sirens, but no damage or injury. The Israeli army said it responded with artillery.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz has suggested that the case may be related to the long-term governance issues that have shaken Lebanon and the effects of Iran-backed terrorist group Hezbollah.
According to the military, one of the rockets was shot down by missile defense and the other landed in an open space.
Lebanese troops said Israel fired in the Wadihamor area at dawn, but did not cause any injuries or damage.
Three Glad rocket launchers were discovered in the Al-Kreila area, one of which was equipped with a rocket prepared for launch and was subsequently disabled by Army specialists.
Israel fought the 2006 war with southern Lebanon and Hezbollah swayed by advanced rockets. Since then, the border has been almost quiet.
A small Lebanese Palestinian faction has sporadically fired at Israel in the past.
The United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) has begun investigating the case, saying it would “promote maximum restraint and avoid further expansion” in direct contact with the Lebanese army and Israel.
Gantz accused the Lebanese state of “enabling terrorist activity from its territory,” and said Israel would respond “at the right time and place.”
“We do not allow Lebanon’s social, economic and political crisis to pose a security threat to Israel,” Gantz said on Twitter. “I call on the international community to take action to restore stability to Lebanon.”
Lebanon has been run by the caretaker administration for almost a year, while currencies have collapsed, jobs have run out, and banks have frozen accounts, which lenders call one of the most serious financial crises of our time.