Madrid-Rafael Nadal said he would withdraw from the US Open on Friday and will not play tennis this year due to a persistent leg injury.
After losing to Novak Djokovic in the French Open semi-finals, the Spaniards participated in both Wimbledon and the Olympics due to fatigue.
“I’m very sorry to announce that I can’t continue playing tennis during the 2021 season,” Nadal said in a video posted on social media. “But as you know, last year I suffered too much from my feet and missed a lot of important events.”
Nadal, 35, said the pain from chronic foot problems that had fought most of his career was too great.
“Last year I couldn’t practice and prepare the way I needed to be competitive to the standards I wanted,” he said. “Injury is nothing new. It’s the same as the injury from 2005. At that moment, the doctors were very negative about my future career, but to be honest, I had a career I never dreamed of. I was able to do it, and I am confident that I will be able to recover again. “
Nadal insisted that he “will fight every day” because he is convinced that “a few beautiful years” still remain in his career. Nadal has won 20 Grand Slam singles titles with Djokovic and Roger Federer.
Former No. 1 player Nadal is currently ranked 4th. He won two tournaments this year in Clay, Barcelona and Rome.