The withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan is likely to lead to a civil war and a resurgence of terrorist groups such as al-Qaeda, said Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in an interview.
“My military estimate is that a civil war is likely to occur,” Millie told Fox News in an interview at the Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany. “The Taliban [be] You can integrate power and establish governance. “
Terrorist groups such as al-Qaeda and ISIS could establish a foothold after the Taliban hijacked the country last month in the turmoil of the US withdrawal and consequent turmoil, the general said.
“I think the likelihood of a broader civil war is at least very high, and that in fact leads to situations that could lead to the restructuring of al-Qaeda or the growth of ISIS or a myriad of other terrorists. Let’s group, “Millie told the network.
In late August, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and President Joe Biden accused the Taliban (a terrorist group itself designated by several federal agencies) of not expecting to take over the country in just 11 days. Received. They later defended the withdrawal, saying that the hasty and chaotic evacuation of thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of Afghans had been incorporated into their emergency response plans.
When the Taliban occupied the area of Afghanistan, the group also opened prisons, and Pentagon officials later said that thousands of ISIS-K terrorists, including the Bagram Air Force Base, could have been released from these facilities. It was confirmed. At the final stage of evacuation at Kabul Airport, ISIS claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing that killed 13 US military personnel.
“Within 12, 24, 36 months, we may see a resurgence of terrorism from that common area, and we will monitor it,” Millie added in an interview published Saturday. I did.
As a result, the United States needs to “rebuild some human intelligence networks” and “strike operations if there is a threat to the United States,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Taliban have fought fiercely with resistance groups in the Panjshir Valley, about 100 miles northeast of Kabul. On Saturday night, a terrorist group posted a video online claiming to have entered the valley. according to The Wall Street Journal reported that resistance soldiers had confirmed that the Taliban had entered.
Emergency, an Italian-based non-governmental organization, told the newspaper that the Taliban had headed to the village of Panjshir in Anaba.
Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi said opposition forces killed many prisoners and captured vehicles, weapons and ammunition after the collapse of Luka’s police headquarters and district center adjacent to the state capital, Bazarac. .. Said On Twitter.
However, resistance fighters, including a spokesman, denied the Taliban’s allegations.
Fahim Dashti, a spokesman for the Afghan National Resistance Front (NRFA), a group of anti-Taliban troops, told Reuters that the Taliban’s “propaganda planes” are trying to spread the distracting message.
“The resistance is ready to continue defending against all forms of attack,” he said.
Reuters contributed to this report.