Utah vaccinations soared with encouragement from Mormon leaders and fell due to a “conspiracy theory”


UAfter the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a strong statement encouraging vaccination, Tar’s vaccination coverage surged and declined in the weeks that followed.

“To limit exposure to these viruses, we recommend using face masks at public meetings whenever social distance is not possible,” said the church. statement read. “To protect individuals from such severe infections, we ask individuals Vaccination.. The vaccines available have proven to be safe and effective. “

The governing body known as the First Presidency, Reportedly Instructed California Mormon leaders not to sign religious exemptions for vaccines. Utah is 61% Mormon.

BIDEN VACCINE MANDATE leaves scrambling to understand how a company complies

According to July, about 65% of members of the Mormom Church say they support vaccination. report According to the Public Religion Research Institute. However, the remaining 35% Mormon A long tradition of churches in large public religious gatherings.

Utah’s 7-day vaccination a week after the church’s announcement to encourage vaccination management Newsweek average rose from 7,204 to 8,076 report.. The following week, the average fell to 7,517, and the following week it fell to 7,267.

Matt Harris, a Mormon history expert at Colorado State University Pueblo, says that a small number of Mormons who resist the vaccine are “accustomed to conspiracy theory” and are absorbing it. information Outside the instructions of the First Presidency.

“They have been accustomed to these conspiracy theories for years, so it’s easy for Latter-day Saints today to think that elections have been stolen or that vaccines are evil,” Harris explained. “This is the way they were instructed to look at the world and government.”

Click here to read more about the Washington Examiner

Harris says the John Birch Society, an organization associated with former Mormon leader Ezra Taft Benson, is blamed on the small number of Mormons in this category. Benson was the 13th President and Prophet of the Church from 1985 to 1994, bringing anti-communist influence to the Church on the far right.

“Benson and his scouts have sown for at least 30 to 40 years,” Harris explained. “When Trump was elected in 2016, it surfaced all of this kind.”

Washington Examiner Video

tag: news, Mormon, Utah, vaccination

Original author: Matthew Miller

Original location: Utah vaccination surged with encouragement from Mormon leaders and plummeted due to a “conspiracy theory”