Vehicles waiting for Lipdaman Simmalik for hours before the shooting in British Columbia: Police


Police say the vehicle was waiting for Lipdaman Sinmalik before being killed in a parking lot in Sally, British Columbia.

Malik was one of two men acquitted in the 1985 Air India terror bombing that killed 331 people.

He was shot in his car on Thursday in a parking lot not far from his clothing business. He was 75 years old.

Sgt. The integrated murder investigation team, David Lee, said at a news conference that the white Honda CRV was pulled up near the shooting site around 7 am and Malik was shot dead at 9:27 that morning.

“The resident was waiting for Mr. Malik,” he said.

“I don’t want to pollute the witnesses, so I can’t specify the number of people. I want them to come forward no matter how many people I see.”

The same vehicle was found in a fire shortly after Malik was killed.

Police released photos and videos of cars driving a strip mall parking lot and sought the help of the general public to find out who was inside.

It’s difficult to see if anyone is in the seat because the driver isn’t visible in the video and the sun is reflecting off the passenger seat window. The back window is painted black.

“We understand that this is a high-profile international story, but we encourage people not to guess about their motives,” Lee said. “Our murder investigators follow the evidence.”

Malik and his accomplice, Ajaive Simbaguri, were innocent of murder and conspiracy in March 2005 in two Air India bombings that killed 331 people on June 23, 1985.

The bomb was placed on two planes. The first aircraft blew over the Atlantic Ocean off Ireland, killing all 329 on board.

The second bomb, which was to be transferred to an Air India jet in Tokyo, exploded prematurely, killing two baggage handlers at Narita Airport.

Jaspreet Singh Malik, son of Ripudaman Singh Malik, said he did not believe the murder of his father was related to his acquittal in court.

“I’m very convinced that this has nothing to do with it,” he said in an interview on Friday.

“It takes a lot of time to hate. Hate, hate someone for over 17 years, and act on hate requires a lot of energy. Such a person is actually the world. I can’t imagine it exists in, and it’s hard for me to understand. “

He believes there is another motive, he said, and he said he felt he would find out who killed his father and why they killed him, adding that he didn’t know why. ..

“I absolutely trust the people involved in the investigation.”

Lee said at a press conference on Friday that police do not believe Malik faced a threat.

“We are aware of his connections with Air India, businesses and schools, and we live in it,” he said. “But for now, it’s too early to guess about the motives.”

Malik said his father expressed no concern about his safety.

“Dad didn’t tell us anything about threatening him or doing anything like that.”

He emphasized his father’s work, including school and promoting Sikhism, and stated that Elder Malik “dedicated his life to selfless service,” that is, in Punjabi.

“When you are a devoted person to Seva, you do not live your life with anxiety and fear,” said Jaspreet Singh Malik.

Besides working and volunteering, he said he enjoyed spending time with his family and sightseeing. He said a family trip with Malik’s brothers, sisters, their children and grandchildren was planned for the last week of July.

Lee Seung-yuop said he could confirm that Malik had been shot “several times” but would not discuss the nature of the injury as the investigation was underway.

A car wash employee near the shooting site said he had heard the shooting, and when he went outside, he saw Malik, shot three times, and became unconscious in the car.

Hina Alam

Canadian press