Victorian Labor Government Wants Judges to Dismiss Allegations in Lockdown Class Action


The Victorian Labor government called on judges to dismiss legal claims of financial loss and mental damage caused by individuals and businesses affected by the second wave of the state, saying the claims were “useless.” Stated.

A class action lawsuit filed by workers and businesses alleges that the state treatment of the hotel’s quarantine, which allowed the CCP virus to leak to the community, was negligent and caused foreseeable losses.

However, the claim does not claim that restrictions should not have been imposed.

In a workers’ class proceeding, Jordan Roberts, the plaintiff’s main plaintiff who surplused work in Tullamarine during the fourth stage of Victoria’s restrictions on August 14, 2020, suffered financial losses. He has filed a lawsuit against the state for mental disorders.

Anthony Ferrara of 5 Boroughs NY Pty Ltd, which runs a New York-inspired restaurant in Koehler Park, the main plaintiff in the business class proceedings, alleged financial losses from the 112-day blockade in Melbourne last year.

In a speech at the Supreme Court of Victoria on May 31, government lawyer Rachel Doyle SC told Judge John Dixon that the class action could not identify the details and “this was the cause.”

“Our claim is that the answer is unlikely to succeed and it is useless to continue,” she said.

Mr Doyle added that plaintiffs’ legal allegations are inconsistent in that they rely on “the end of a long line of dominoes.”

Nonetheless, Jordan Vogt-Roberts’ representative carbon lawyer said his dismissal was limited to Stage 3 and Stage 4 allegedly the result of then-Victoria Health Minister Jenny Mikakos and Employment Minister Martin Pakula. Claims that it can be traced back to.

Genome testing has shown that a significant proportion of cases of the CCP virus that caused the second wave in Victoria may be associated with a hotel quarantine program in Victoria.

The Epoch Times
The prestigious Jennifer Court AO will speak during the COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Survey in Melbourne, Australia on July 20, 2020. (James Ross-Pool / Getty Images)

Government lawyer Rachel Doyle told the Supreme Court that Victoria’s Prime Minister Daniel Andrews had failed the hotel’s quarantine program and told Judge Dixon “Duty of care and breach of this case. “Let’s ask.”

Two proceedings, which can cost the state billions of dollars, continue to be contested in the Victorian Supreme Court.

In August 2020, Quinn Emmanuel Arcato & Sullivan, a law firm based in Sydney, launched a class action proceeding (pdf) We are seeking compensation from the Andrews Government for all businesses that have suffered financial losses from the third and fourth stage lockdowns.

In March 2021, public housing residents filed a class action against the Andrews government for assault and negligence allegations that occurred during the two-week lockdown in July 2020.

AAP contributed to this report.

Posted on