Rome-Italy prosecutor said Friday’s personal communication, which could embarrass the UN health organization, said top executives of the World Health Organization lied about WHO’s surge report on the Italian coronavirus reaction ..
Bergamo prosecutors were investigated for falsely filing them when Dr. Rani Eligera, then assistant secretary general of WHO, agreed to be voluntarily cross-examined in November. Gera was a liaison between WHO and the Italian government after Italy became the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in Europe last year.
They have not charged Gala for crimes and outline their allegations in an interim investigation document sent to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Justice, which listed him as one of the six under investigation.
Guerra did not immediately respond to the email asking for comment. Agi News Agency said it was shocked by the prosecutor’s putting him under investigation and said he was “deeply resentful” and hoped that WHO would respond to them and use them for further elucidation. I told you.
“I’ve always been sincere and amazed at the different impressions of the prosecutor,” Agi said. Gera told the prosecutor everything he knew at the time, but added that he did not have access to all the information.
Prosecutors are investigating whether the enormous death toll from COVID-19 in Bergamo and the lack of preparation for Italy’s pandemic have had an impact. Their investigation was extended to include a soaring WHO report on the Italian viral response, revealing that the Italian government has not updated its pandemic response plan since 2006.
WHO did not pull the report out of its website and reissue it on May 14, the day after the report came out. The disappearance of this document suggests that WHO has deleted it to avoid criticism, embarrassment and liability of the Italian government.
Gala was Chief Executive Officer of the Italian Ministry of Health between 2014 and 2017, when the pandemic response plan should have been updated to comply with EU directives.
At the time, when asked whether the Gera or the Italian government intervened to explode reports, WHO said it had been removed by the Copenhagen district office due to “virtual inaccuracies.”
However, a document edited by Bergamo’s prosecutor, first reported by the Italian state-run RAI report, showed that Gera manipulated the report to be deleted and the Italian government was angry with it. .. The document included a private WhatsApp chat between Gera and Dr. Silvio Brusafero, Chief Executive Officer of Italian Public Health.
In a chat dated May 14, 2020, Gera wrote to Brusafello that the decision to pull the report was known to WHO leaders. Generally, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
In another chat four days later, Gera told Brusafero that he was in talks with the Italian Minister of Health’s Cabinet on the revision of the report, and that the minister’s office said, “We can make it creepy. I said to see if I could do it. ” “
A WHO news agency denied Tedros was involved in the report’s spike in an email to the Associated Press on Friday, arguing that all decisions regarding it would be made by the Copenhagen office.
“The Executive Secretary was not involved in the preparation, publication or withdrawal of the report,” the email said, “including inaccuracies and inconsistencies,” reiterating that it was deleted because it was published prematurely.
He added that Gala is no longer an assistant director, but a “special adviser” and has the same rank.
The prosecutor quoted Gera’s comment, which said it was inconsistent with the facts, and concluded that “Gera personally worked to remove the report from the WHO site.”
Earlier in the email, Gera had one of the main authors of the report, Dr. Francesco Zambon, change the data in the report before it was published, and Italy “updated” the pandemic plan in 2016. Was shown to have said. Zambon rejected and filed the whistleblower’s complaint, alleging that Gera tried to pressure him to change the data. Zambon recently resigned.
Gera defended his role by stating that the report was withdrawn due to factual inaccuracies and did not intervene to remove the report, but simply wanted to correct the error. He said Italy’s 2006 pandemic program is still in effect and does not need to be updated while in charge of prevention at the Ministry of Health.
Dr. Giovanni Rezza, who is currently in charge of prevention at the Ministry of Health, said the surge in WHO reports was not particularly problematic and worthy of censorship.
Gera said in November that WHO’s Legal Department advised WHO officials that they were not obliged to respond to Italian prosecutors’ requests for cross-examination in view of their diplomatic immunity as UN officials. Testified to.
Gera is doing it in his personal position and was asked not as a suspect but as someone informed about the facts. However, the prosecution said, “He made a false declaration,” so he was eventually investigated.
The prosecutor filed a complaint against Gala in a formal request on page 8 to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and sought assistance in obtaining cooperation from WHO in the investigation.